FH+H has extensive background on all aspects of owning, operating, selling, and expanding practices for licensed medical and healthcare professionals, as well as members of the healing arts, including dentists and other physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, and nursing professionals.
Services + Solutions
FH+H offers a full range of services to medical professionals in all stages and areas of their practice.
Our attorneys can help medical professionals:
- Purchase, sell, open, and operate practices
- Enter into building purchasing, leasing, office sharing, and financing agreements between professionals or with third parties
- Negotiate and review agreements with purchasers and sellers of businesses, real estate, equipment, and other supplies, and conduct due diligence with these transactions
- Evaluate goodwill and other aspects of business sales
- Address issues with brokers, lenders, and agents
- Develop partnerships, professional corporations, and limited liability corporations
- Address hiring issues, discipline, and termination matters for personnel ranging from associates to staff
- Address ethical issues related to medical practices, request opinions, or appear before licensure boards where appropriate
- Handle matters before state licensure boards and authorities, including issues pertaining to proper standards of care and compliance with state ethics and practice codes
- Address self-reporting issues for impaired medical and covered staff personnel
- Appear at hearings – both informal and formal – and appeal fines and sanctions to state court arising from licensure board actions
- Address criminal and civil investigations by federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies and regulatory authorities, including inquiries involving pain management or the control, use, and distribution of controlled substances and the preservation of state- or DEA-based for the use or distribution of controlled substances
- Draft personnel manuals, as well as non-compete and non-solicitation agreements
- Address misconduct by agents of the practice licenses
- Handle insurance, HIPPA compliance, privacy concerns, patient complaints, billing, and collection issues
- Address sexual harassment and discrimination claims and breaches of employment, agency, or fiduciary duties
Experience + Capabilities
- FH+H attorneys have litigated cases to judgment in both state and federal court and have appeared before the DC and Virginia Boards of Medicine.
- FH+H has worked with impaired medical personnel and with the practices they serve, and the firm has handled claims between medical professionals and their business partners, lenders, landlords, suppliers, employees, and patients.
- FH+H has explored and pursued defamation and business interference claims against persons alleging that a professional, or their practice, has engaged in unethical or unlawful business practices or claims where the skills, expertise, standing, integrity, or professionalism of a practitioner or their treatment is at issue.
Successes + Clients
Note: Case results depend on a variety of unique factors, and do not guarantee or predict similar results for future cases.
- FH+H successfully litigated claims by medical professionals against hospitals withholding privileges and against building owners for substandard upkeep or failure to maintain a "Class A" building.
- FH+H attorneys litigated claims against building owners who failed to maintain restrictive covenants limiting the number of professionals in an area of specific practice within their building.
- FH+H has successfully litigated several cases arising from claims of fraud or misrepresentation in the sale or purchase of a dental practice.
To learn more about how FH+H lawyers can help with your business merger, please contact one of our professionals.