FH+H attorneys represent individuals, executives, board members, and employees of nonprofit organizations as well as nonprofit organizations themselves in a variety of matters. From establishing exempt status with the IRS to navigating through onerous regulatory investigations, our attorneys understand the unique legal and regulatory environment in which nonprofit organizations operate. While the avoidance of litigation is often preferable, FH+H attorneys remain at the ready to represent our clients during all phases of litigation.
Services + Solutions
Our nonprofit litigation team can help clients:
- Incorporate, establish tax-exempt status, and register in appropriate jurisdictions
- Navigate through regulatory investigations and civil litigation
- Draft responses and defend nonprofit organizations during administrative hearings congressional hearings and other government investigations and inquiries;
- Establish and maintain appropriate compliance and corporate governance practices
- Ensure appropriate legal and regulatory compliance with non-profit accounting standards, including AICPA SOP 98-2
- Defend nonprofit organizations' reputations during times of crises and coordinate media, legal and public relations efforts
Experience + Capabilities
FH+H's nonprofit litigation team has decades of collective experience litigating all types of cases in state and federal courts throughout the country and have represented board members and nonprofits during litigation at the state and federal level.
- FH+H's nonprofit litigation team includes former judicial law clerks for several federal circuit courts, former prosecutors at both the state and federal level, and former public defenders and CPAs
- FH+H has represented several large Non-Profit organizations' during simultaneous Congressional inquiries and investigations by states' Attorneys General
Successes + Clients
Note: Case results depend on a variety of unique factors, and do not guarantee or predict similar results for future cases.
- Successfully represented established Veterans Service Organization during a regulatory investigation and subsequent litigation
- Exposed numerous flaws in a state AG's five-year investigation into a non-profit client, causing the AG to retreat from erroneous allegations, and securing a settlement highly favorable to the non-profit corporate and individual director clients
To learn more about how FH+H lawyers can help with your nonprofit litigation issue, please contact one of our professionals.