FH+H attorneys represent and assist domestic, foreign and multinational clients, including individuals, small businesses, Government Contractors and large companies, in a broad range of international and domestic business and commercial endeavors, including global trade and international transactions.
Services + Solutions
Our international trade and transactions team can help clients:
- Organize and structure complex international business transactions, including those involving joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions, teaming arrangements, and strategic global alliances and partnerships
- Understand the legal and regulatory framework involved in conducting transactions abroad, particularly with respect to the provision of highly-regulated goods and services in emerging economies
- Understand, negotiate and draft the documents underpinning any international transaction, such as contracts and other agreements, along with promissory notes, letters of credit, and other negotiable instruments
- Identify, understand and mitigate the unique risks posed by operating abroad
- Comply with the myriad of laws and regulations of the U.S. government applicable to international transactions, along with those of foreign governments
- Respond to foreign solicitations and requests for proposals, and otherwise engage in the international bid-and-proposal process
- Close transactions in emerging markets, including those in the Middle East and North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa, Eastern Europe, and East Asia, and particularly the markets of Ukraine, Libya, Afghanistan, Jordan, South Sudan and Kenya.
- Perform comprehensive due diligence on foreign clients, partners, vendors, consultants, and local representatives
- Preserve and protect rights to tangible and intangible assets
Experience + Capabilities
FH+H lawyers provide elite, efficient and effective advice in a variety of matters involving global trade and international transactions. Our international trade and transactions team routinely leverages its legal, accounting, business administration and management expertise to provide creative solutions to the most complex transactional challenges. Having spent significant time operating overseas in both civilian and military capacities, FH+H lawyers are familiar with the obstacles of establishing and preserving an international business, and approach thses obstacles with foresight, agility, and creativity.
- FH+H lawyers have negotiated hundreds of transactions in virtually every major industry, including the defense contracting, government consulting, technology, aircraft leasing, retail, financial services, software, agriculture, energy, healthcare and life sciences sectors.
- FH+H lawyers have repeatedly sat side-by-side with their clients to negotiated complex transactions with representatives of foreign governments and heads of State.
- FH+H lawyers have structured joint ventures and completed the formation of complex business in some of the most austere operating environments in the world.
- FH+H lawyers have ensured that clients comply with U.S. export control regulations such as the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and the Export Administration Regulations.
- FH+H lawyers have navigated the myriad of U.S. and foreign regulations to ensure that international individuals and entities are properly registered with the applicable agencies and are acting in accordance with requirements of other domestic international monitoring organizations.
- FH+H lawyers have liaised with foreign governments, embassies, and other in-country ministries to obtain the requisite formal and informal approvals required for international business operations.
- FH+H lawyers have helped clients establish a foreign footprint by negotiating and closing lease agreements, local agent and representative agreements, and other labor-related requirements for employees.
- FH+H lawyers have developed sustainable relationships with lawyers and business management, business administration, accounting, finance and taxation experts throughout the world who can provide advice and counsel on matters of local custom and usage.
Successes + Clients
Note: Case results depend on a variety of unique factors, and do not guarantee or predict similar results for future cases.
- FH+H attorneys have obtained approvals to lawfully export over $750 million in defense articles, technical data, defense services and dual-use commodities to numerous countries in the Middle East, North Africa, Europe, Asia, South America, and North America, including approvals for exports to highly scrutinized locations such as Libya, South Sudan, and Democratic Republic of Congo.
- FH+H attorneys represented a U.S. aerospace company in a complex, multi-million dollar international transaction with a foreign government.
- FH+H attorneys represented a foreign company in a complex, multi-million dollar corporate transaction with a foreign government involving the export of U.S.-sourced defense articles from the United States.
To learn more about how FH+H lawyers can help with your international transactions issue, please contact one of our professionals.