FH+H is a recognized leader in providing on-point guidance to business and individuals regarding all aspects of federal ethics, political activities, conflicts of interest, financial disclosure, compliance programs, and investigations.
Our unique combination of resources, fee structure, practical approach, and experience allows us to deliver cost-effective, focused legal solutions tailored to senior-level officials and domestic and foreign public and private companies of all sizes, from family-owned businesses to mid-size government contracting firms.
Services + Solutions
- FH+H's ethics team provides candid and comprehensive advice to both businesses and individuals on the full spectrum of federal government ethics and related matters, including:
- The Foreign Emoluments Clause and its effect on US individuals and employees working in foreign nations
- Organizational Conflicts of Interest, to include identifying possible areas of conflict and working with companies to develop OCI mitigation plans to enable companies to fully compete in the federal contracting marketplace
- The Hatch Act and its impact on current and former federal employees, especially those under potential investigation
- The Anti-Deficiency Act and strategies available to current and former federal employees facing allegations of violations
- Federal financial disclosure and potential conflict of interest issues for individuals working for the federal government or being considered for political appointment
- Advice to senior federal officials seeking post-government employment and involvement with non-federal entities
- Representation for businesses and individuals facing formal and informal investigations for ethics-related matter or other issues
- Review of corporate programs and policies related to federal ethics issues
Experience + Capabilities
We have substantial experience in virtually every aspect of government ethics and related issues at the most senior levels of government. Our lawyers have served in the federal government at the highest levels and devised many of the ethics compliance programs and policies currently in effect today.
Because of our specialized backgrounds and high-level security clearances, FH+H professionals are ideally suited to assist clients with ethics and related matters, including investigations, involving defense, intelligence, and homeland security-related efforts, government contracts, and/or classified programs.
Successes + Clients
Note: Case results depend on a variety of unique factors and do not guarantee or predict similar results for future cases.
- Brought in to consult with a major law firm to identify and resolve potential Emoluments Clause issues faced by retired military officers working on a foreign contract in a Middle Eastern country
- Provided focused ethics counseling to enable retiring senior official to eliminate potential conflicts of interest and accept appointments for the board of directors of two publicly-traded companies as well as employment in the private sector.
- Developed mitigation plans to assist businesses to avoid potential organizational conflicts of interest and maximize their ability to bid on new work with the federal government
- Directed the development of Hatch Act and Ethics compliance programs for federal agencies while employed as government counsel
- Advised senior political and military officials on ethics, permissible political activities, post-government employment and other related matters
- Represented senior officials facing ethics and other types of investigations, as well as directing investigations while employed as government counsel
- Advised individual clients of situations requiring action under the Foreign Agents Registration Act and other aspects of working with foreign entities
To learn more about how FH+H lawyers can help with ethics and investigation matters, please contact one of our professionals.